In the early years, connections to the rest of the world were solely via railways. The total length of the narrow-gauge railway track was 17 km, of which 4 km was the main line from Lehtse railway station to the industrial village. A road was only built here in the early 1960s. The most powerful machine in peat production was the excavating machine TEMP-2, which, in tandem with ESM-7 strapping machines, put an end to manual peat production in the quarry area. With the help of a UKB-SKS lump peat gathering assembly, the collection of lump peat was fully mechanised at Lehtse by 1958.